What is PRP Treatment?
PRP Therapy, also known as Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy, is a type of treatment that speeds up the healing process of some certain injuries. Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) Treatment is first used to cure muscle, bone and joint injuries especially for tennis players and athletes. Tiger Woods, Kobe Bryant, Rafael Nadal, Stephen Curry are some of the professional sportsmen that have been treated with PRP.
In PRP Treatment, the patient’s own blood is used and the platelets are removed from the blood and injected into the skin. Platelets are the small cells that contain clotting and growth factors. The large number of growth factor in the platelets include stimulate healing.
Platelet-Rich Plasma Therapy has gained attention as it hastens the healing process of the injuries of the professional sportsmen. Then, it has started to be used in Orthopedics, Dentistry, Plastic Surgeries and in Hair Transplantation.
PRP Treatment After Hair Transplantation
A patient who had hair transplantation may also receive a PRP treatment after the operation. So what is the exact reason of undergoing PRP therapy after hair transplantation? There are three main reasons of using PRP in hair transplantation. PRP is performed after the hair transplantation because:
1. PRP enhances survival of transplanted hair follicles.
2. PRP lowers the possibility of scarring after hair transplantation.
3. PRP stimulates the new hair growth.
How is PRP Treatment Performed in Hair Transplantation?
1. First, blood must be taken from the patient.
2. Then the blood is placed in a centrifuge and kept for 5 minutes.
3. The platelets (thrombocyte) are separated from other blood cells.
4. The plasma that is rich in platelets is injected to the scalp skin.
5. The whole procedure takes between 30 and 45 minutes.
Advantages of PRP Treatment
– As your own blood is used in the treatment, there is no risk of infection and allergic reaction.
– It is an easy and quick way to promote healing and minimize the scars.
– PRP Therapy is a non-surgical treatment.
– PRP Treatment can be performed on the same day when the hair transplantation is done.
– PRP slows down the hair loss and lowers the possibility of scarring.